The State of Emergency does not significantly impact real estate, as it continues to be an essential service. Live/in-person public open houses are prohibited, but Realtors may continue to help clients sell and buy homes.
Impacts on Real Estate
- Short-term rentals for recreational purposes are effectively closed. If a booking was made prior to January 12th, it may proceed.
- Renovations that started before January 12th may continue, but those that have not started are not permitted to start. The government has not indicated when the new measures will be lifted.
The commitment that the real estate profession has shown to following guidance from the Ontario Real Estate Association (OREA) and public health officials is the reason why we can continue to serve clients in the midst of the pandemic.
Guidelines for Safe Practices
- Wear masks (PPE) at all times. The additional requirement announced that masks must be worn outside in public spaces when social distancing is not possible.
- Open houses are banned. Full stop. No exceptions anywhere in the Province until the lockdown is lifted.
- Use virtual tools first and to the greatest extent possible to conduct all business.
- In-person showings are permitted, but MUST be scheduled in advance. To allow for physical distancing, people in the home should be limited to two buyers plus their sales representative.
- Clean and sanitize surfaces & hands before and after each showing
- Space out appointments to manage the flow of people inside and outside the home.
- Real estate offices and Brokerages may remain open, however the Government has stated that all employees who can work from home should do so immediately.
Team Masterson continues to work with clients throughout these restrictions, while ensuring their safety. Inventory levels are very low this January, so it is a great time to be a seller. Thinking of making a move?* Call or email us.
*Not intended to solicit those already under contract.